It is observed that number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to male child. In such circumstances
education of women needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment and education will
prepare them to have a control over their lives. The mindset which militates against the girl child
could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy. The Govt. of India declared elementary
education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various
steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for
girls. In order to achieve and promote girls education, UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira
Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to
all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family.
The objectives of the proposed scheme are:
- To support post graduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of small family norm.
- Slots : 3000
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in first year of
PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full-
time first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered un
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING FOR THE SCHEME
- Applications will be invited once in a year on the National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government
of India. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
For more detail please visit https://scholarships.gov.in/